Tips on How to Craft a Debate Essay?
A debate is an argumentative discussion in which two parties are talking over the same subject but with different opinions. Both parties share the pros and cons of the discussion topic, supporting either one side, and opposing the other. The arguments seek to state a position by giving various reasons and evidence. Understanding what is a debate essay is as important as crafting it. In simple terms, it is leading one side which the writer strongly believes in and can support with justifications.
Writing a debate essay is heavily dependent on the completed research and the ability of a student to refer and cite the facts and used information. Generally debating in public is much simpler than writing a paper. When penning down the research in an argumentative way, you lack expressing emotions; hence, it becomes a challenge to persuade the audience to figure out which side you are on.
How to Write a Debate Essay
It is very important to know how to write a good debate essay for an interesting paper. The paper should be well-structured, starting with an introduction, which has to be well thought out. It should be either stating facts, a thought-provoking question, or a famous quote. The introduction needs to provide the background of the statement the student can start with. Just by reading one paragraph, readers should be able to understand the situation and the topic under discussion.
Once the intro is set, there needs to be a smooth shift to the main body of the paper. This part comprises of two or more paragraphs where you state strong statistics to support your point of view. The evidence needs to depict advantages for the point you are supporting, and your case will become stronger if you can highlight opposing factors about another argument. You need to make the audience agree with your stance.
Third and final part is the conclusion. This is a reflection of the introduction part, further emphasizing the arguments presented in the body in a concise manner. There should not be any new argument presented as it will only confuse the readers. By this time, your audience should be convinced that there is no better picture than what you have projected over the case. It is very crucial that the structure of a debate essay remains this way.
How to Start a Debate Essay
There are various ways for how to begin a debate essay; two are the most common ones.
- Question/answer: One way to start is to set the topic of the discussion in a question format. This generates a prompt for the readers, making them answer, which can convert in the thesis you are looking for. For example ‘Does playing with tablets and cell phones create eyesight problems at a younger age?’, ‘Does domestic violence affect the mental health of children?’ or ‘Does having too much sugar affect the organs of the human body?’ In the first example, the question you are asking sets the stage for people to think of critical reasons to avoid letting small kids play with electronics. The answer to this question will drive the argument.
- Debunking expression: Another way to start is by taking a side and framing the topic in a negative connotation. E.g., while some people believe that you can’t keep kids away from tablets, studies have shown that these kids lack an attention span and get eyesight problem at an early age. Now you are urging the readers to favor your argument, which is against the use of tablets at an early age.
Whichever way you pick, it eventually depends on how convincing your arguments are and how well they are supported by evidences.
Tips for Writing a Debate Essay
An argumentative paper depends on various aspects which can either build the conversation or break it. Here is how to write a debate essay step by step and get your point through in a convincing manner:
- Choose the topic wisely. Make sure it is a controversial topic which can have a debate both ways. You can pick any topic from child education to medicinal marijuana. The topic itself needs to have a compelling pull to keep the audience involved.
- Once the topic is decided, figure out which side you are on. For topics like domestic violence, most people will be against it, but you can still create an argument around it confidently.
- Make sure you have done your research to articulate the facts and stats which go both in favor and against the topic. Your opponents may have a different perspective than you, but if you have solid grounds which can prove your stance, you can make them agree to you.
- Know your audience. The readers of your essay will be very crucial to you building your argument. If you are writing a term paper, you may focus more on sentence building, structuring, and formatting. But if you are drafting for a competition, you need solid supporting research which can be cited and argued.
- Have your facts ready. Without figures and numbers, a paper loses creditability. It becomes more of an opinionated write-up then a well thought out research paper which leaves no value in front of the readers.
- The last, the most important factor. Select an issue you are most passionate about. If you feel strongly about it, you will be able to express your thoughts and also be able to research it with dedication.
Consider these tips combined when you think about how to make a debate essay convincing and interesting. Don’t forget, your opponent may not agree at all with your verdict, but at least you would present yourself vision with strong arguments and leave a good impression on the readers.
Do You Need Help with a Debate Essay?
If you need help in crafting the perfect article, then contact us. Being one of the most expert writing services on the web, we are ready to provide you with assistance regarding the debate paper writing. Fill out the form and let us help you with a complex paper. Place your order now!